On July 1, 2014 new renewal requirements went into effect. Educators renewing must complete the renewal process prior to September 1st of the year renewing to avoid significant penalties. PD activities completed before December 31, 2014 must be entered into ELIS prior to the end of the renewal cycle if they are to count. 

CPDU credits should be converted to professional development clock hours.
  • 1 CPDU = 1 Clock Hour of PD
  • 1 Semester Hour of College Coursework = 15 Clock Hours
Certificate Renewal for Mid-Cycle

Educators whose renewal cycles end in 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 and some NBPTS Master Teachers who renew after 2018 will have the same renewal requirements they did at the beginning of that cycle. PD that counts for the current cycle includes:
1) CPDU credit earned,
2) college coursework, or
3) uniquely-qualifying activities.

Licensees working 50% or more full-time equivalency must complete requirements specific to endorsements held or positions assigned.

Speech Language Pathologist (Teaching) regardless of whether they hold an IDFPR license: 

        120 clock hours of PD.

Teaching fields and School Support Personnel who do not also hold an IDFPR or national license:

        120 clock hours of PD.

Teacher Leaders:

        100 Clock hours of PD plus one AA course each fiscal year in which the licensee is assigned to an administrative position                 for atleast 50% of the school day.

Licensees holding administrative endorsements but NOT WORKING as administrators: 

         120 clock hours of PD.  including one Administrator Academy (AA) course during the first full 5-year renewal cycle in                     which the endorsement was held for at least one year. The AA course will count toward the total 120 hours.

        100 clock hours of PD plus one AA course each fiscal year working in an administrative position.
NBPTS Master Teachers:
  • 60 clock hours of PD if holding a current NBPTS Master Teacher Designation.
School Support Personnel: 
        No PD renewal requirements if holding a current and active IDFPR or national license related to the endorsement area.
Career & Technical Educators: 
        120 clock hours of PD.

Entering Professional Development (PD) Credit into ELIS

Uniquely-qualifying activities will satisfy all renewal requirements if they were completed by August 31, 2014.

Any degree earned must be conferred or any subsequent endorsement issued by December 31, 2014 to receive credit for the uniquely-qualifying activity.

Am I able to claim the same credit earned after June 30, 2014?

No. Even though ISBE has extended the ability of previously approved providers to provide credit until December 31, 2014, educators will no longer be able to claim CPDU type activities that were acceptable prior to July 1, 2014. CPDU Point Values for Professional Educator Licenses (see page 5 of this document). 

Will I lose my credit earned prior to July 1, 2014?

Educators may still claim credit earned prior to July 1, 2014, but need to enter them by August 31, 2014. Until rules are approved, we are uncertain what the penalty will be for not entering the credit, but the worst case scenario is that the credit will not be able to be used for renewal if not entered. CPDU Point Values for Professional Educator Licenses (see page 5 of this document).

Will I still receive my reduction in PD for a Master's Degree?

The amount of PD for renewal remains the same for mid-cycle licensees as when the current cycle began, i.e. 40 CPDUs, 80 CPDUs, or 120 CPDUs which converted to PD Hours July 1, 2014.

Is there a list of approved PD activities?

No, There is no longer a list of professional development activities and purposes. Any PD activity offered by an approved provider is acceptable.

Is there a timeframe that PD needs to be entered into ELIS?

Yes, Beginning July 1, 2015, licensees who complete PD activities must enter each one into ELIS within 60 days of completion or they will not receive credit. Administrators’ Academy courses will continue to be entered by the ROEs/ISCs.

School Support Personnel

A licensee with a School Support Personnel endorsement who holds a current and valid license from one of the following has satisfied all professional development renewal requirements.

  • Nationally Certified School Psychologist;
  • Nationally Certified School Nurse;
  • Nationally Certified Counselor; or
  • Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Accessing ELIS
Important Licensure changes became effective July 1, 2013 In early September, 2013 ECS (Educator Certification System) was replaced by the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS). Directions for setting up a NEW Account in ELIS


Additional Support Links

Recent Announcements

  • Certificates Change to Licenses Educators who held certificates in Illinois will have them exchanged for a license on July 1, 2013. There will be four licenses that list endorsement areas on the license. There ...
    Posted Dec 16, 2012, 3:06 PM by Roe Admin
Showing posts 1 - 1 of 1. View more »